Monday, January 14, 2008

Birthday Blog Candy


I have enjoyed participating in other's blog candy opportunities (and winning a few) and decided it was my turn to share the candy! In honor of my birthday (yesterday) I am giving one lucky winner the retired Stampin Up "Dream Come True" stamp set as well as some yummy Valentines day themed paper. I've used 2 of the stamps in this set once, so it is close to brand new! All you have to do is comment on this post by Monday January 21st and giving me tips on taking pictures of my cards. Winner will be selected on Tuesday using random.org. Thanks for playing and good luck!

30 comments:

Jan Scholl said...

here is what I am doing for photos right now-I purchased two black foam peices and use those as my backdrop. I use an OTT light as my natural light and just click away. I often buy some cheapie seasonal stuff for the photos but I can go without. this is my winter set up. In summer, I always take them outside on the desk with flowers, yard ornaments or just the trees as background.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to YOU! Sweet candy you are celebrating with your readers. I just love this set and just love SU! I'm a terrible picture taker, but I know it all has to do with where the light is. I try to take mine in the day time. Thanks for a chance.
cmeyers@hughes.net

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday. Thanks for sharing. I love the set you are giving away. I take pictures of my cards in bright areas of the house, I try to do different things too. I took some on top of our kitchen counter so it looked like a wood background... they were kind of neat. Lighting is a key factor.
ksun_1999@yahoo.com

scrappinpeg said...

Happy Birthday again Amy..... Hope you had a fun day! "ME" give you tips???? too funny.... You've seen my photos of my cards! ROFL!!! I like to take a lot of my photos outside when I can. They seem to do better in the natural light. But when I can't I just try to clear a corner of my desk away and snap away! Then I go back and crop away the photo in the end to get as much of the background around the photo out. I also use a resizing software too and get the photo the correct size before I upload it. I take a lot of photos of the card each time too and try to use the best one that turns out without any glare on it etc.... Good luck... Sweet Candy you are giving away!

tyrymom29 said...

I wish I could help more but what I do is just open the blinds in the kitchen and take it over our kitchen table!! THe kitchen gets the best light!! I need tips on that also ..heheheheh

Angel said...

My pics got better when I stgarted using the close-up feature and putting my card onto a piece of white cardstock with another piece of white cardstock directly behind it. I also use my real light lamp. This works for me.
Thanks for offering great blog candy!! Happy New Year!

Scott Franson Photography said...

I use cardstock as a background so depending upon what color the card is determines the color of the background. I try to use a flash to eliminate shadows.
Claudia
scfranson@charter.net

Linda SS said...

Lighting is everything and if possible use natural light. I've never used a light box, but I hear they work great. Pay attention to your background. If it's too fussy it draws your attention away from the subject, so keep it clean & simple. I find that a white or a black background always looks nice.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Amy!
How nice of you to give a present in honor of your birthday!! I love seeing your cards! They are so fun!! This is an awesome gift you are sharing!!

I take pictures in my happy room with the card or item sitting on a small, clear $1.00 stand!! I use the flash depending on the lighting in the room based on time of day or night! And I use colored or white CS for background!

Annelies said...

Happy Birthday!!
I'm afraid I can't give you tips on taking photo's of your cards.
I always have problems with this: my shadow on the picture, bad colors, one time it's better with flash, the other time better without. I always have to take many pictures before I have one good enough to publish on my blog.

Amie said...

Well, I'm no pro, but I take them during the day, without flash, clipped to a magnetic board. It's not perfect, but it's working for now. Thanks for the opportunity!

amie
amiedanny@msn.com

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I am still very much in the learning stage, but one thing I have learned from other blogs that is inexpensive is to place your project on a piece of white cardstock and have a piece of white cardstock behind your project. This has helped me many times.
When I can, I take the photos outside.

Cheryl KVD said...

AWESOME candy!! I can see using that in both cards and my scrapbook!! My key to taking the photos is do it in natural light. I also like to put a white piece of cardboard underneath it, as the colors seem to stand out better that way. Good luck!
Thanks!
Cheryl KVD

Lilian said...

happy birthday!! the best tip i have for taking pictures is to take it in natural light. :)

Marla said...

Amy - I just try to make sure there is enough light and sometimes with my camera it is best to be darker in the room and then use the flash. I usually just take photos on my bedspread. I have a scanner so for most of my cards I just upload to the computer that way. It is much easier and faster. HTH What great blog candy. mghowell8@msn.com

jenstamps said...

Happy Birthday to YOU! I have a mini photo studio in a box that I use most of the time (I bought it on Amazon) but if my table is just too messy; I too just use some white or black cardstock and my OTT light...sometimes I don't even use the cardstock just my blue wall. :) I read a post where someone used the light under her range and took the photos on her smooth top stove. I think it's all about where you can find the BEST light!

Anonymous said...

I always take pictures of my cards using mosting natural sunlight about mid-day. I find that the colors are more true. I lay my card on a white mat and then use the close up setting (for flowers) and then zoom in just a little. I have had the best luck with doing all my card pictures doing these things.
Amy, hope you had a great birthday!!! It is very sweet of you to post up some blog candy...that is a really great SU set for Valentines.

Linda
lbowman

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Love the set you are giving away. Someone will be a very lucky winner! When it comes to taking pictures of cards, I found mine turn out better when I used a bright light, or lamp in the room, rather than the flash. Thanks for the opportunity.....

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Bright areas with plain backgrounds are key for taking good photos of cards! :) Thanks for the chance!
Nicole L.
cutesy_face@hotmail.com

Starr said...

Wow - that's some swwet blog candy!
I hope your birthday was great fun! I love birthdays, even if it means I'm getting older. Hey, it's better than the alternative, huh?
Taking pictures of my cards has been somewhat of a challenge. I have read some good ideas here. My biggest problem seems to be the flash. It seems if I can take the pic without the flash, it looks better. I'vde read a couple of comments here that seem to agree with that.
Thanks for the chance to win some sweet stamps...

Anonymous said...

Well first off happy Belated Bday and OH let me tell you that I've been stalking I mean visiting Amy at http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.com she has the best tips ON EVERYTHING included how to make your pics look better. She even tells you what setting to put your camera in. Did you know that little tulip that comes up when you take a pic is the mode your suppose to be in. Shoot I never knew what that was for! lol Also to use to pieces of cardstock to make a background for your project (IT WORKS!) she's the one I go to when I want to figure how something is suppose to be! HTH :)

-Ellie
e@scrapbookmama.com

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! All I can say is do not photograph at night, do it during daylight hours for best results. Luv the V-Day blog candy, thank you for the chance. bluemoonbynite@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, thanks for the giveaway.
I'm not a professional myself, but I have a link for you:
http://www.stampinkub.com/tutorials/tips/photo_1.html
There are 3 other tips in his site, check them too.

Becky said...

I too took Amy's tips. Natural light is always bestest. I have started to wait til mid morning and go out on my covered deck. It gets lots of light but not direct sunlight.

I heard once that its better to stand back from your subject and zoom in.

Just practice...thats bout all I can say.

And as for the candy! WOOHOOOO! Thats a LOVELY set and I would SOOO looooove to have it!

Happy Belated Birthday!

Swamp Tulip said...

Great blog candy. I try to take pictures in the brightest area of our house, although for close ups I've been known to take a stool into our powder room, stage the card, set my camera to the 'close up' setting, close the door, shut off the lights, and click! The flash gives just the right amount of light - especially if I have bling or something shiny on the card.

Teresa

A Webb Of Creations said...

Thanks for the great candy!!! When I take pictures of my projects, I've found that I get a really good image when it's taken outside in good sun light. So I guess it's al about the lighting.

Linda Webb

Anonymous said...

I use a desk lamp with a "daylight" light bulb and my small ott light to get bright light with no shadows. I use four sheets of cardstock (two on the bottom and two on the wall) for my background & I don't use a flash.
smilynstef at aol dot com

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday,

I hope you had a wonderful day.

I don't have any good tips to give you but you do such a good job of making cards. I do think that having lots of light on the subject does help. I will look forward to seeing more of your cards.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Amy.

My best advice for taking photos is to take them outside.

I have had many cards published with magazines. I'm sure it is all in the "selling" of the idea.
I like to take my shots outside and I also like to have props with them.
I sit my cards on 2 old butter boxes - very rustic looking.
The shots always come out crispy clear.
If you take them inside its a good idea to take them near a window.
I prefer to take mine without the flash on. It give a more natural look.
Be extra careful there are no shadows casting over your creations.

Luv Sandie (Australia)

Barbara DeBose said...

HB to you! What has worked the best for me is to take advantage of indirect natural light. Anytime between 12-3 on a sunny day works best. Thanks for the chance at some candy!